Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Worship, Singing, Praying, Warring-- Life

"In God, Whose word I praise, in the Lord, Whose word I praise-- in God I trust and am not afraid.  What can man do to me?"  (Psalm 56:10, 11--NIV)

Today's Psalms reading is in the section which reveals David's day to day life-battles/struggles, perhaps more than any other five Psalms placed together in the Bible.  "Sunday School glasses" paint many of the Bible people with ethereal unreality.  

Take of those glasses today and look at David.  Read his psalms/songs.  Follow his life.  You just may see a little (or a whole lot) of yourself.  Yes, David was a king, a statesman/politician, but also a rancher, a musician, and in many ways, a needy-of-love creature.  I have pointed this out before, but again, it strikes me today that Psalm 56-60 reveal a sort of "day in the life of" David.  David worshipped, sang, prayed life's complex encounters, "I will extol you, my God the King; I will praise Your Name for ever and ever," and, "Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack....Deliver me from my enemies, O God....Deliver me from evildoers....You are my strength, I watch for you; you, God, are my fortress....Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless.  With God we will gain the victory, and He will trample down our enemies." 

Man can do nothing, "to me," because I live in and praise and serve and love and trust, "In Godwhose word I praise."  The, "Word I praise," is not fundamentally print on a page.  The, "Word I praise," is a Person, the Person of Jesus, Who alone is, "The Word of God."  I pray today that you will see in this little "picture" of David's worship, struggle, praying, struggle, "declaring," struggle the true overcoming life.  The person who is steeped in Jesus Christ, "Whose Word I praise," is the person who can face life, life as it is, not as religionists attempt to paint it.  There is no more qualified person to deal with "real life" than the person who is immersed, filled, abiding in the Living Triune God, Father, Son Jesus, Holy Spirit.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You so much for Your Word----- my very life.  Amen.
***********************
* Computer problems again.  I guess it's off to try to get a new one.
* Report on ongoing struggle in Europe and the invasion at:  jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive