Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, October 1, 2015

"Commandments" Is NOT A Bad Word

"The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments...."  (Acts 1:1-2b)

Many believe that, "commandments," ended with the Old Testament; they did not.  They continue in Jesus, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the ProphetsI did not come to destroy but to fulfill."  Jesus does not give us options or an alternative life style.  Jesus only gives commands so that we may, "enter, thou, into the joy of thy Lord."  Maybe instead of, "The Lord led me," it should be, "The Lord commanded me."

The vast majority of us do not like being told what to do, especially if it goes against what we want to do.  First of all, if that attitude would have prevailed, I would not be a child of God today.  Our "flesh" desires so much of what is not Jesus' purpose for our lives.  Secondly, I must completely understand and live in the reality that the Blessed Trinity has nothing but good for me, "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandmentsAnd His commandments are not burdensome."  Yet so many church goers believe they are.  They are, "not burdensome," to me; they are good to/for me.

We are Disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ, and disciples are those who had gone astray, rebelled against our Maker, were living life our own way.  Then Jesus found us and called us to Himself.  And what so few realize is that a part of that, "born again," experience is our freely taking on the "position" of  a learner, i.e., disciple, and learning-discipleship never stops.  Jesus calls man to, "Follow Me."  It is not, "You are special and I have a wonderful plan for your life which will erase all suffering, pain, sickness, and problems.  Everyone will love you and think you are marvelous."  No.  It is, "If they have hated me, they hate you also."  Yet to those who, as I read in Psalm 2 in the KJV this morning, "Kiss the Son," Jesus, worship Jesus, enjoy the, "Abide in Me and I in you," relationship in Jesus Christ, then whatever may happen to us, however life "turns out" for us, it is no matter.  We are of those who, "rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory," in Jesus.  I have a new name for us: Lovers of Jesus Christ's Commandments. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, if I ever think and act as though Your commands are, "burdensome," I know it is my own sin which comes to that conclusion.  Everything You say is precious in my sight.  Amen.
**************************
What a time in world history, and a location, to be involved in "David's Tent."  Please pray for physical and spiritual health.  Thanks.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive