Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

"Seldom Reflect On The Days...."

"Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income....They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart." (Ecclesiastes 5:20, NIV)

Nothing like Ecclesiastes to deal with fundamental human concerns.  I value its quarterly "word."  The NASB translates our text, "For he will not often consider the years of his life, because God keeps him occupied with the gladness of his heart." 

Someone once asked me if I have a copy write on my devotionals.  The thought had never occurred to me.  I then thought, "What would anyone do with what I write?"  Then I thought, "Who would pay for what I write?"  When people have subtly asked what I do, with the implication that I am either retired or am doing nothing, I reply with "intercession" and "writing a daily devotional."  Maybe if I used the word "blogging," it would impress more, and hence, justify "support" or salary, etc.  I have thought, however, that if Charles Schulz could make a "living" by posting a four block cartoon, what is the difference between what he did and what I am doing?   Yada, yada, yada.

Our text is a good advice on life, "....seldom reflect on the days of their life...."  Our text is for everyone, the person of great wealth or of little wealth, the person who receives a consistent pay check every two weeks, or is living on savings and Social Security, or the so-called "faith minister."  It is reported that giving in Christendom, especially in the United States dropped significantly after the "collapse" of 2008.  And you know the statistic which I have shared before that each generation from the WW 2 generation to the "millennials" and "generation y," has been giving less to the Church than the previous generation.  All of this is addressed in our text, "....seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them...." 

"They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart."  This is a theme of the Followers of Jesus.  If my heart is, "occupied with gladness of heart," and I am convinced such, "gladness of heart," can only come with, "Looking unto Jesus," and not, "reflect[ing] on
the days of their life," then no matter what my state in life, no matter the state of my country or the world in general, our Lord Jesus Christ, "keeps [me] occupied with gladness of heart."  Good word, Solomon.

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to keep my heart thus occupied.  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive