Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 31, 2015

We Give To Be Faithful


"If I have denied the desires of the poor or let the eyes of the widow grow weary, if I have kept my bread to myself, not sharing it with the fatherless..., if I have seen anyone perishing for lack of clothing, or the needy without garments,...if I have put my trust in gold or said to pure gold, 'You are my security, the fortune my hands had gained',...then these also would be sins to be judged, for I would have been unfaithful to God on high."  (Job 31, NIV)

Notice, when we give we are not, "unfaithful to God on high."  Rather, we are, "[]faithful to God on high."  We give, not to "get," but to be faithful.

America is increasingly becoming, more and more, a selfish nation simply because Americans, "....trust in gold and said to pure gold, 'You are my security'...."  Most want; few give.  If your trust is in your possessions, then you have to protect them, because you believe it is your possessions which guarantee your security.  This is the reason so many are flocking to Trump.  I don't support him, but many do, especially of the "middle class," because they are fed up with politicians promising everything and producing nothing for them, while those who refuse to work just seem to get more and more.  There was an article I saw today which I posted to Facebook that reveals just how sick is the American culture.   This give-it-all-to-me-but-I-do-absolutely-nothing-for-it-and-couldn't-care-less-what-others-have attitude is pure evil.  Job knew it, and wanted to be no part of it.

Jesus commands us, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor.  Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys."  You and I as Followers of Jesus need to look at our giving, not just to the Church and Missions, but to those who are as Job described, and not through some 5013c to get a tax credit, but for the above reason Jesus gives us.  The last part of our text struck me today as a check for our giving.  Giving is just as much a mark of my faithfulness to our Lord Jesus Christ as is writing this devotional, going on missions, preaching and sharing Jesus with the lost, worshipping and praying.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I want to be thus faithful.  Amen.
*****************
Please remember our Shelly in your prayer.  Recovery is not what she was expecting; hence, very frustrating at this time.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive