Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, April 2, 2015

"Gazing On The Crucified"

"But He answered him not one word, so that the governor marveled greatly." (Matthew 27:14)

Based upon the reading of the four Gospels, we can come to the conclusion that it was only to the accusations Jesus did not, "answer[] him...one word...."  Could the reason be that Jesus was bearing the whole of humanity's guilt, all humanity, all the sin and sins of humanity, from Adam to you and me?  He was taking all which sin and its judgment could put upon humanity. 

Most people are very quick to defend themselves.  Even the people who boast, "Well, I don't care what anyone thinks of me," are people who care what people think of them; that's why they say that.  Jesus, however, was not thinking of Himself at the moment of our text.  Jesus had, and still has, you and me written on His High Priestly Breastplate and, "See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands...."  As our Savior Jesus looked, "on the palms of [His] hands," and saw my name, your name, He was "reminded" of why He was before Pilate, why He was going to "the Cross, the grave, the skies"------ love for you and me.

Western Christendom celebrates this evening the "Last Supper."  It should not be called "the Last Supper."  In reality, it is the Last Passover Seder, the Jewish Festival which celebrates the deliverance from bondage in Egypt, which Jesus was to celebrate with His disciples in this present age.  In the partaking of the Bread and the Cup, the Flesh and Blood of Jesus, we celebrate our deliverance from sin; we celebrate Jesus.  We feed on Him, but not just on what Christendom has traditionally called Maundy Thursday.  Rather, ours is a day by day feeding, yea, moment by moment, in fact, right now, right here, right there where you are, yes, right NOW.  We have seen Jesus; we are ruined for the world.  

Father, in Jesus' Name,
"Since mine eyes have looked on Jesus,
I've lost sight of all beside,
So enchained my spirit's vision,
Gazing on the Crucified."
********************
* I will be on CTV  discussing the April 19 March of Remembrance, April 16 at 09:00.  The program will also air at other times during the day, and I believe you can access it on their "archive" site.
* I will share a little of our last mission on our Blog:   jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive