Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The "Mundanes" of Life

"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." (Psalm 118:8)

This is so fundamental, so central, so unneeded-to-be-stated in our walk in Jesus that too often we minimize, "in man."

Well, we have had quite a 12 hour period here.  The electricity went out around 01:30 which meant that our furnace also went out.  Our main concern was Sarah's Mom; she'll be 94 in June.  She was up and wondering around in the dark and cold.  I was glad I went over to check on her.  She had dining room chairs moved around, phone off the hook.  I just stayed over there the rest of the night.  We learned that when the electricity came on in our area, every house said, "I want heat, and I want it now."  It put such a drain on the gas lines in the neighborhood that the gas pressure went way down---- too much demand on the system.  We are just thankful for, "in man," who showed up.  Yes, preachers always find a life lesson.

I think too many people apply an "either or" to our text.  None of us who follow Jesus would deny our text.  This is fundamental truth for living.  Of course, the first thing I did in the we hours of the morning when the electricity went out was to call the electric company.  When I discovered that the gas furnace was not working, you guessed it, I called the gas company.  I repeat, "the first thing I did."  Now, of course, I "brought it to the Lord;" it was one of my deeper prayers, "Help."  But while you and I do not need someone to tell us our text, I think it is also a good lesson in the value of others, viz., "in man."  I had no control over our plight, nor did I have the ability to fix any of the problems.  The furnace guy who came had both.  Now there is no doubt that the Lord could have "performed a miracle," and most televangelists would talk in those terms.  The fact is, Jesus ordained this life in such a way that while our, "trust," and, "confidence," is in Jesus Christ and His Words, my life is not an island.  Jesus' teaching on the Church, the Epistles, indeed, all of Scripture reveals that we were created to need each other, "It is not good that man should be alone," is more than a "creation" statement.  It is a life statement.

My "word" for us today is that we do not despise some of what we too often call "the mundane" aspects of our lives.  The people who fixed our problem were not "prophets," or "apostles," etc.  They were, "in man,"-------- just like you and me.  Quite honestly, I think there is a very similar theology to, "It is not good that man should be alone," in regard to a man and a woman, as well as the Church, even humanity at large (I could develop this further). Appreciate others.  Be kind to others.  Thank others, whether in your family, grocery store, fellow worker, maybe even political people.  Yes, it is foundational to life to, "trust in the Lord," Jesus Christ.  Yet sometimes I fear such is quoted, not in humility, but in pride.  "I don't need anybody but God" is many times just an egotistical presumption.  To all I say, Yes we do.  It is the way the Blessed Trinity ordained life.

Father, in Jesus' Name, what seems to be so "trivial" is really very important.  Help me to know the difference------------- always.  Amen
******************
Giuliani is right about Obama.  Read article at:  jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive