Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

He Chooses Some "Strange" People

"And now I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, My servant and instrument, and the beasts of the field also I have given him to serve him."  (Jeremiah 27:6, Amplified Bible)

This was in my Major Prophets reading yesterday, and is a somewhat disturbing and confusing passage to those who like a predictable, religionist god.  Here the Living Triune God is speaking of a predecessor of Saddam Hussein, and, who was not a whole lot different.  From Daniel's account we seem to get the ideal that Nebuchadnezzar "got saved," came to recognize the Lord God as King of the nations.  But the fact remains that Nebuchadnezzar was a pagan king when Jesus chose to call him, "My servant and instrument."  If one accepts this Biblical Theology, then one has to accept a whole lot of people who we would not, in our "spiritual" concept of life, accept.  Remember what God said to Pharaoh, "But indeed for this purpose I raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth."  Sort of gives an interesting "take" on history and current events.  Two ancient kings, one seemed to repent and believe the Lord God; we have no record, however, that the same happened to the other. 

I also read Psalm 90 today.  "Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generationsBefore the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting (also, "forever"), You are God."  This is the Theology which rules.  It rules Jeremiah 27:6; it rules all.  The longer I live, the more the mystery.  I stand in awe of Him who alone is, "....from everlasting to everlasting."  Just so are His ways, "passed finding out."  Theologians for generations have attempted to understand and explain, both professional and armchair.  Books have been written, sermons preached, teachings taught------- to "explain."  I have studied Church History and "secular" history.  One time I and a brother prayed for 11 hours straight.  I have read the Bible through many, many times, very many mission services, and still, in spite of all the praying, Bible reading, fasting, worship, contemplation, going to the nations, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting You are God," is my "conclusion," my worship, my surrender.

Jesus is, "The Ancient of Days."  Jesus is, "King of kings, and Lord of lords."  Nebuchadnezzar and Pharaoh are under Jesus' rule, so all the kings, prime ministers, presidents, ISIS, etc.  Jesus moves history; other kings don't; you and I don't.  Let's stop trying.  Only as you and I are in Jesus Christ and Jesus in us do we "accomplish" anything, change anything or anyone.  "Be still and know that I Am God," saith Father, Son Jesus and Holy Spirit.

Father, in Jesus' Name, "Before," anything and anyone, "You are God."  That's all I need to know.  Amen.  
*********************
March 9-20:  Berlin Mission
Still moving gingerly, but at least I can get around.  Appreciate any prayers.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive