Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"....To Hear Some New Thing"

"For all the Athenians and the foreigners who were there spent their time in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing."  (Acts 17:21)

Our text is a constant reminder that always looking for, "some new thing," is a religious, philosophical pursuit, not a "pursuit" of Jesus.

If nothing else, I pray these daily devotionals give you a little reminder each day of our Lord Jesus Christ, His indwelling presence in all who have surrendered their lives to Him.  Too many tend to watch Christian television, listen to Christian radio, go to conferences, read books, etc., to get, "some new thing."  If they aren't wowed by a teaching, if their goose pimples don't get goose pimples, they have not worshipped or may even doubt "His presence" in the event. 

Frankly, for me there is only one, "new thing," I desire for each day, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  Just to know and fellowship with and in, Our Father, in Jesus, in the Holy Spirit.  I find that most of my "worship" is in His Words, receiving, thanking, and just "lost in wonder, love and praise." I read His Words over and over and over and always "experience" fellowship, "intimacy," or as the song says, "blessings all mine with ten thousand beside."

Away with the life style of engaging, "in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing." Enter the life of our Lord Jesus, "receive the Kingdom of God as a little child.Continually "receive" Jesus as a little child, sort of like my four year old grandchild who, when she sees me, comes running to me, arms outstretched, saying, "Grandpa!"  He too must surely love this.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are my constant, "new thing."  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive