Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Some Things We Understand-Some Things We Don't

"....And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 4:7)

This was from my first quarter's latter New Testament reading.  I have read this passage more times than I can count.  It is one of the most familiar verses in all Christendom, especially among evangelicals, charismatics.  This time, however, something really stood out as never before, "....surpasses all understanding."  Now the Word of God tells us, "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdomAnd in all your getting, get understanding", i.e., unless it is that understanding, "which surpasses all understanding."  Apparently our text seems to be in the category of eliminating, "all understanding," no matter how smart the preacher, your "spiritual hero," great men and women of the faith, you and me.  You and I and all the rest do not, will not, perhaps even will never understand the, "....peace of God...." 

The only thing left to do is accept/receive, "the peace of God."  I have said before that if you and I could understand, "the peace of God," then it would not have the kind of keeping/guarding power which, "your hearts and minds," need.  I confess that there is, in a very real sense, very little "understanding" I have of the Cross, "this present age," or, "the age to come," Heaven.  In fact, the longer I live (and I don't mean to attempt profundity here) how little I understand, periodThis one thing, however, I do understand: The person who believes/receives/builds his or her life upon what Jesus says, is the person who walks in the peace which is our Lord Jesus Christ, "For He is our peace...."  That is really all I need to know about, "the peace of God."

"Thy way, O God! is in the sea,
Thy paths I cannot trace;
Nor comprehend the mystery
Of Thine unbounded grace.
2. 'Tis but in part I know Thy will;
I bless Thee for the sight;
When will Thy love the rest reveal,
In glory's clearer light?
3. Here the dark veils of flesh and sense
My captive soul surround;
Mysterious deeps of providence
My wondering thoughts confound.
4. As through a glass I dimly see
The wonders of Thy love;
How little do I know of Thee,
Or of the joys above!
5. With rapture I shall soon survey
Thy providence and grace;
And spend as everlasting day
In wonder, love, and praise."   (John Fawdett, 1782)

*************************


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive