Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, December 18, 2014

If You Need Gladness, Ask For It

"Rejoice the soul of Your servant, for to You, O Lord, I lift my soul." (Psalm 86:4)

The NASB says, "Make glad the soul of Your servant."  It's a real problem for many people this time of year, so much hub, bub, so much fussing and fretting about parties, gifts, traveling, etc.  I really don't think that you and I can be, "glad/rejoice," if the gladness and rejoicing is not from and in Jesus.

Oil prices are plummeting, Russia is sliding into economic chaos, and North Korea is at it again, while many Americans are cowering in fear.  Yet anyone whose trust is Jesus Christ can pray with the psalmist, can pray "expecting" that Jesus will, "Rejoice (make glad) the soul of Your servant."

There are times when a person feels the need for such a request; gladness and rejoicing seem to have slipped away.  The prayer is in the "God-Breathed" Word.  Pray it.  Pray it often.  The hymn says, "In seasons of distress and grief, my soul has often found relief...."  How?  My soul "has often found relief" in Jesus, in our communion, His very Presence with and in me. 

There is "relief" today from whatever is the opposite of, "rejoice," and, "glad."  It is nowhere, it is in no one, but Jesus.  Nestle. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, You are my rejoicing and gladness.  Amen.
********************
Brief note on yesterday's DC Mission:   jhs58.blogspot.com
Use Google to access the site.  I noticed today that Yahoo doesn't take you there.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive