Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, November 13, 2014

This Is "Church"

"Greet Priscilla and Aquilla, my co-workers in Christ JesusThey risked their lives (literally, 'necks') for meNot only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to themGreet also the church that meets at their house" (another definition of "going to church"---Romans 16:3-5a, NIV)

Phillips' Paraphrase says, "Shake hands for me with Priscilla and AquilaThey have not only worked with me for Christ, but they have faced death for my sakeNot only I, but all the Gentile churches, owe them a great debtGive my love to the little church that meets in their house."

If you want to understand the "nature" of the Church, you must understand today's text.  This is Church, not going to Sunday meetings where you fellowship the back of someone's neck.  Far more local congregations around the world throughout history have been, more than most realize, "the little church that meets in their house."  It is in such a setting that the Church of Jesus shares most intimately, as Bonhoeffer calls it, our "life together."

The closing exhortations of Paul in his epistles are most interesting, and I highly recommend that you read them.  For one thing, they give great insight into Church Life.  I have said this before, but it bears repeating: If you want to read the best work on the Church I have ever read, I suggest that you read Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, relatively short, and worth the read.  Years ago I sent about 16 copies to pastors whom I know, but never heard anything from them.  Maybe, assuming they read it, it spoke to what Church Life should really be in such a way that conviction set in.

Sarah and I have not been involved in a "life together" setting for quite a while, though we do attend services in a "local" church.  There are some "ministry" issues for this as well as the situation with Sarah's Mom, but that is not the point.  We miss the "life together" of a local church.  Our text gives some reason for this.  Notice some of the phrases in Romans 16:
    v. 5b, "Greet my dear friend Epenetus...."
    v. 6, "Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you."
    v. 7, "Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison                 with meThey are outstanding...."
    v. 10, "Greet Apelles, whose fidelity to Christ has stood the test."
    v. 13, "Greet Rufus...and his mother, who has been a mother to me too."
    v. 23b, "Erastus, who is the city's director of public works,..send[s]                                         you...greetings."    
This is indeed what Watchman Nee called, "The Normal Church Life."  This is the "life" I pray for your local church.  This is the "life" I pray for The Church, in the US, and across Planet Earth.

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to be someone who reflects the saints You mention in Romans 16.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive