Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, September 8, 2014

God's "Delay"

"But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon ('considers') meYou are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God."  (Psalm 40:17)

Okay; there seems to be a dilemma here with David.  He first confesses that he is a, "poor and needy," man; good start.  This is the first "step" in our relationship in Jesus Christ.  It is confession of our weakness, a weakness that to the repentant heart realizes just how needy we are.  This confession not only confesses our inability to navigate life on our own; it also reveals that we are sinners in need of a Savior, Jesus.  "But I am poor and needy."

Then David makes a solid faith confession, "....yet the Lord takes thought and plans for meYou are my Help and my Deliverer" (Amplified.)  So there we have it:
        1. I am in desperate need.
        2. The Lord Jesus, "considers and plans for me."
        3. The Lord Jesus saves me.

But then David cries, "O my God, do not tarry!"  Wait!  I thought we had this "favor," this, "say to this mountain," thing all settled.  Why then does David say, "....do not tarry"?  Ah, the "unanswered" prayers, the feeling at times of abandonment, even though we hold to our confession, "You are my Help and Deliverer."  Now you and I are also familiar with the scenario.  We have great "answers" to prayers, see miracles, see great provision, experience His "favor."  But then we experience something as David records in Psalm 30:6 & 7, "Now in my prosperity I said, 'I shall never be moved' (Remember those times?).  Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong (still remember?); You hid Your face, and I was troubled" (and that?).  Why didn't God just leave out that last part? 

The "sow-seed-and-everything-will-be-all-right," and the "you-can-d0-anything-and-everything" people do not speak of such things.  There is never any, "You hid Your face, and I was troubled."  But it "happens," doesn't it?  This is when the command to, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus," is an empowering command.  Hebrews 2 says, "You have put all things in subjection under his (i.e., man's) feet....But now we do not yet see all things put under him"--- one of life's paradoxes, one of life's contradictions, one of life's confusions?  Whatever it is, it is again followed by the great assurance and continued reassurance, "But we see Jesus, Who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone." 

It always comes back to this, doesn't it?  A constant reminder that when we don't have an "answer," we have Jesus, constantly, continually.  This continual confession and realization, "....but we see Jesus," causes us to live in His power and will sustain us when cry out, "Do not delay, O my God."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I know your, "delay," is always for my good.  Amen.
**************************
* Please remember to put a note on the fridge to pray for the DC Mission, September 17-21
* Thank you to all who said they are praying for Shelly.  The reports are good.  Please continue to pray.
* I will preaching in the Quest Church, Greensburg, PA., meeting, September 14.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive