Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 6, 2014

"We Have This Hope As An Anchor For the Soul"

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secureIt enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain...."  (Hebrews 6:19, NIV)

"We have this anchor for the soul, firm and secure."  I absolutely never tire of reading this.  Acceptance of this reality will keep you and me, "firm and secure," the rest of the day.

Forgive the old guy's "remembrance" and perhaps a little nostalgia.  I preached my first sermon almost exactly 54 years ago, my first sermon in "my own" congregation 4 years later.  My first sermon was from John 15 and based on the statement of Jesus, "You are my friends."  My first sermon 50 years ago this coming Sunday in the Brush Valley Evangelical United Brethren Church was entitled, "Christianity is Christ."  My "call" to pastor, to proclaim the Gospel, Who Is Jesus Christ, was and still is based in, founded upon, and commitment to Jesus.  All that I have done over the past 50 years in Church/Kingdom service is because of Jesus Christ, my love for Him and my dedication to Him.  Any other reasons for pastors, missionaries, worship leaders, elder board membership, etc., is pure folly, self seeking, and self promoting.  Only, "Jesus Christ is Lord."

Our text tells us the reason our, "hope as an anchor for the soul (is) firm and secure."  Our reason for hope, anchor, and security is Jesus Christ.  "The inner sanctuary (is) behind the curtain," and no one but the high priest was permitted to enter, "alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people."  But now, you and I are called to live, remain, dwell there in Jesus, The High Priest.  Jesus in our text is referred to as our, "forerunner."  We are going "Somewhere," my friend!  Strong's defines the word as "a person running ahead to reach the destination before others-- i.e., arriving safely in advance for the benefit of others who also need to get there."  The word for, "forerunner," also means a "precursor, advance guard."  Okay, precursor: "something that comes before something else and that often leads to or influences its development; one that precedes and indicates the approach of another."  And how about this: "a substance, cell, or cellular component from which another...is formed."!  (Wait; Pentecostal moment).  Okay; the dictionary says that an advance guard is "a military unit sent ahead of a main body to find gaps in enemy defenses, clear away minor opposition (and not so "minor"), and prevent unexpected contact, a force to prepare for a landing or other operation, especially making reconnaissance."  I think you can take it from here.  Oh, I just might add a-------------- HALLELUJAH!   

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for allowing me to be apart of Your Church, a citizen in Your Kingdom, and fellow servant with the saints of the ages.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive