Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 27, 2014

"Her Poor I Will Satisfy"

"....Her poor I will satisfy with food." (Psalm 132:115, NIV)

The Bible is full of passages which reveal Father's Heart for the poor, the suffering, the forsaken of the earth.  And if I have His Heart, I will do all I can to manifest Father's Heart for the poor, the suffering, the forsaken of the earth.  Now of course we cannot help everyone on Planet Earth.  But if we all do our part, so many more will be served.

I am reading a diary of a young Jewish boy who lived in Lodz, Poland, when the German Army came in September, 1939.  He was 15 when they came; he died of tuberculosis in 1943 at the age of 19, the direct result of the German inhumanity.  It is one thing to read history; it is quite another thing to live it with someone, day by day, hour by hour, someone who is writing about what is happening, yet not knowing what is going to happen, at times fearful, at times, hopeful, terrifying news followed by a ray of encouraging news, then darkness, then blackness.  Here is a vibrant young man who actually loved school, learning, wanting to know more of life, only to have a murderous culture snuff it out.  This has been Judaism's history from the call of Abraham to this time.  Millions in the world are still hoping to complete what the German attempted, total annihilation of the Jews. 

In another vein, today I posted to my Facebook page a photo of a young girl who looks to have been around 9 or 10.  She is standing on a street corner in Sarajevo, Bosnia, during the war of 1992-1995, and attempting to sell some of her dolls to get food; it is absolutely heartbreaking.  The world is full of such suffering and tragedy.  Now while some may think of me as morbid in such reading and photo-posting, it is not.  The condition of such fellow humans is our condition.  May our Lord Jesus help us to do as Paul wrote to the Galatians, "They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do." 

One time a group of pastors told Mother Teresa there were no poor in their city.  She said something to the effect, "Give me a day and I'll find them."  Are you trying to "find them"?  Those who, "remember the poor," discover what Jesus said, "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I confess that the need of the world is overwhelming.  Grant me continual grace to do my part.  Thank You.  Amen.
************************
* New Posts at:    jhs58.blogspot.com
* Help us, "remember the poor," in our Spring Mission to Berlin/Bosnia, May 1-20

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive