Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 20, 2014

All Need To Give and Receive, Yes, We Do

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic (compassionate, suffering or feeling the like with another) love one another, be compassionate and humble." (1 Peter 3:8, NIV)

People who profess to be Christian and don't read the Bible are people who pretty much think they can do life on their own; this is ultimate pride.  Likewise, people who think and live like they don't need others are also of the proud.

Jesus knows we need sympathy, compassion, and love.  Otherwise there would be no need for the Church; we would be some grotesque figure with all eyes or all ears.  But we together are as cells which make up the Body of Christ, the Church.  When a person says or lives as though they do not need the Church, they may be thinking of all the "stuff" which goes on inside buildings on certain days, but you and I need to be very careful not to believe and live as though we are, as someone once said, "I'm my own church."  He was not----------- we are not.  Of course people cannot comfort, strengthen and revive a stricken soul as can Jesus, but that does not in any way mean that my fellow Members of the Church do not have very key and important roles in my life. 

I remember right after Stephen died, a ninety year old pastor came to our house in a very detectable compassion.  He said, "Remember, as David said, "He cannot come to me, but I can go to him."  Now I don't remember how I "felt," but life was imparted.  Then there was my seminary friend, John, who drove over 70 miles one way the day of Stephan's operation.  For three hours he just sat there with us; he said nothing.  Sarah has often spoken of this/him.

In chapter one of 1 Peter, the Apostle speaks of the prophets of old that, "....they were not serving themselves, but you...."  This is, or should be, the heart, the attitude of the Church, of you, of me.  We, "are not serving [our]selves, but you...."  One thing this should do is stop looking for the perfect church, some religious, ultimate Shangri la.  There is no such "church."  Someone once said that if you find the perfect church, don't go there; you'll ruin it.  Whatever "perfection" one is searching for is nonexistent; it is a fanastyland or our own creation. 

Instead off saying, "I'm going to church today," perhaps we should say, "I'm going to the church today," the group of people with whom the Lord has allowed us to serve.  We go, "not serving [our]selves, but you," others who need, "compassion, suffering or feeling the like with another."

Father, in Jesus' Name, forgive me for selfishness, and help me to, "take (great) heed," to Your Words.  Amen.
******************
* We request prayer for the May Berlin/Bosnia Mission, and please send us any prayer requests you have.
* Prophetic News, Commentary:     jhs58.blogspot.com
  
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive