Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, January 13, 2014

Yet There Is A River In A "Dry And Parched Land"

"You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek You; I thirst for You, my whole being longs for You, in a dry and parched land where there is no water....Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings I cling to You; Your right hand upholds me."  (From Psalm 63, NIV)

I simply could not have said it better, or expressed the truth of life any differently.  God, He Who revealed Himself solely in Jesus Christ, is, "my God."  I have thirsted for Him all my life, and my whole being has always longed for Him.  Now, lest you think I am asserting a very saintly, spiritual-giant-life, let me explain.

The reality of the psalmist's expression is the reality of all humanity.  The central problem is that man does not realize for what, or rather, for Whom he is searching.
  All the wealth-seeking, all the relationships-seeking, all the desperate search for security, love, etc., apart from, "You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek for You," is just a perversion of man's basic longing; it is perversion of creation.

Augustine, a North African Follower of Jesus, therefore, probably an Arab, once said, "Thou hast made us for Thyself, O God, and our hearts are restless 'til they find their rest in Thee."  It was also said of Augustine that at one point in his life he came "to understand that things said simply can be true, while things put eloquently may be lacking in substance."  Our text is, "things put simply." 

This morning I was greatly impacted, full of thanksgiving by the words of our text.  I hold them again before you as a continued strength for the day.  You and I know, no matter where we live, that we are, "in a dry and parched land where there is no water," no matter what the hype of whomever and whatever.  Yet in this, "dry and parched land..., because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings," and as, "I cling to You; Your right hand upholds me."
  As, "I cling to You," I hear you say, Lord Jesus, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drinkWhoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are my, "rivers of living water," and only because of You in me can, "I sing in the shadow of Your wings."  Amen.
**********************
Prophetic reading at:
    jhs58.blogspot.com
Making plans for Spring Berlin/Bosnia Mission



When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive