Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, November 25, 2013

"Likewise Also"

"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers." (Acts 2:42)

I said to our local church decades ago that house groups keep a big church small.  We weren't a "big" church by any means, but a group larger than 10 to 15 is not very conducive to, "fellowship, in breaking of bread, and in prayers." 

Most congregations today are guilty of what Dietrich Bonhoeffer said in his work, Life Together:  "Simply to be together in Sunday where everything is determined from the front is a sad distortion of what it means to be the church.  Life together for Christians is meant to be much more than that."  Someone once described "church" for most Americans as coming to a church building and "fellowshiping  the back of someone's head."  Sarah and I have had some great moments at home having a meal, followed by the taking of bread and wine in remembrance and celebration, "the Lord's death until He comes."  This is just not exciting enough for far too many professing Christians.  For me, it is more and more the greatest worship I know. 

As I spent some hours at Golgotha a couple of weeks ago, I was renewed in my worship, thanksgiving, celebration of the Most Precious Blood, the Death and Resurrection of Jesus.  I can say with absolutely no overstatement that I am alive today, I am in Christ today, I am serving our Lord Jesus Christ today, I am sharing this devotional thought with you today, I am a forgiven sinner today with a home in Heaven all because of The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus.  It would be great if small groups of Followers of Jesus would take time for a meal together, to experience the communion fellowship of a house church setting.  This is not a criticism of present day church gatherings.  This is just an advocacy for more than Church "from the front." 

"Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, 'This cup is the New Testament in My blood, which is shed for you'....For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God....God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by Whom the world is crucified to me, and I to the world."  Sharing a meal and the Table of our Lord with a small group of Fellow Followers of Jesus is an important key to living out our, "Abide in Me," life together.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I repeat Paul's prayer, "Forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ...."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive