Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, November 15, 2013

"And He Was Numbered With the Trangressors"

"Now it was the third hour, and they crucified HimAnd the inscription of His accusation was written above: 'THE KING OF THE JEWS.'  With Him they also crucified two robbers, one on His right and the other on His leftSo the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.'"
(Mark 15:25-28)


When I first went to Golgotha (Skull Hill) this last time in Jerusalem, my daily reading had me in our text.  As I walked toward Calvary, I could envision myself approaching, "the place of a skull," with the group being led there to die.  

"With Him they also crucified two robbers,"----------- and me.  Forgive me, but the absolute utterly stupid accusation over the years towards the Jews that they "killed the Christ."  The Jews did not kill Jesus; the Romans did not kill Jesus; I killed Jesus, my sin, my rebellion, my estrangement from the Godhead took Jesus to the Cross.  "And He was numbered with the transgressors"-------------------- which includes you and me. 

And may we never forget that Jesus went to the Cross on His Own, in Father's purposes, in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus chose the cross.  Neither the Jews, nor the Romans, nor anyone else chose that Death for Jesus.  John 10 records that Jesus said of His impending death, "No one takes it (My life) from Me, but I lay it down of MyselfI have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again This command I have received from My Father."

The Gospel, which center in the Cross of Jesus and Resurrection of Jesus, has been in danger of being marginalized in the last 40 years.  "Movements," pop religion and other highly personalized and man-glorifying emphasis have in many places turned Christendom into man-centered religion rather than the Christ-Centered Covenant of the Blessed Trinity.
    "Lest I forget Gethsemane:
    Lest I forget Thine agony;
    Lest I forget Thy love for me,
    Lead me to Calvary."

"It was here.  The battlefield was here....2000 years ago.  I was here."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thankfully embrace, "Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him."  Amen.
****************
I will be preaching in the Word of Faith Outreach International Center meeting in Berlin this coming Sunday, Isaac Oppong, Pastor.  The time will be between 05:00 and 07:00 EST.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive