Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Do Not Use Libety as An Opportunity For The Flesh"

"For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh...." (Galatians 5:13) (I know, like you have nothing better to do than watch a video and read another devotional)

I read an article today about the anniversary of the 1993 "Oslo Accords" and the 1973 Yom Kippur War.  (I have sent the full article to: jhs58.blogspot.com)  "Israel Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon, reflecting on the lessons of the Yom Kippur War said, 'One of that war's failure was the great sense of victory of the Six-Day War, which led to excessive self-confidence, arrogance, complacency, and carelessness.  Senior officers had a culture then of 'I am, and there is no other beside me.'"  This attitude is lethal to a person calling him/herself a Christian.

Paul said that he had not yet arrived; you can always tell people who think they have.  It is classic, "I am, and there is no other beside me."  One ominous sign is that they are easily bored with any preaching or teaching which centers in ancient, historic, Biblical Doctrines.  They act as though since you have read and/or heard them so many times, there is no further need to hear or read them (I guess this is why there is so little Bible reading among them).  Yet this is the MO of much of Christendom over the last generation.  People such as this are unteachable about anything in their lives and unwilling to consider they may need to make some changes.  They are always looking for some "new revelation," the latest "now word," then when it comes, if it does not further excite them, they don't act upon it.  Any attempt at correction is met with, "There is no condemnation," translated, "I don't need to change anything."

Today, I encourage you and me together to make a "covenant" that we will not allow "excessive self-confidence, arrogance, complacency, and carelessness" rule.  It will just set us up for a surprise attack from the Enemy.  A good local church will always be a place where we can be held accountable if/when such attitudes manifest.  Paul's exhortation to the Galatians is also to you and me today.

Father, in Jesus' Name, keep me from a "cheap grace" which leads me to "excessive self-confidence, arrogance, complacency, and carelessness."  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive