Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Another Bible Prayer

"Uphold me that I may be safe, that I may have regard for Your statutes continually." (Psalm 119:117)

It is not just safety for which the psalmist prays.  It is, "that I may have regard for your statutes...."  In other words, that I may live for You and others.  The priority here could perhaps have us reverse the text, "That I may have regard for Your statues continually, uphold me that I may be safe."

I was praying Psalm 119.  The reason I mostly pray the Bible is that I do not know how to pray as I ought.  The issues of life which are beyond me, which are most issues, leave me speechless.  I find myself many times repeating Bible prayers, the Lord's Prayer.  Now the super spiritual will say that is not "meaningful" praying, just rote praying.  These people usually are controlled by their past experience in a church where meaningless recitation of prayers were just a religious act---- Whatever.  I find "deepest" praying comes with desperation, helplessness, uncertainty, oh wait, that sounds like most of life. 

Notice in our text that the psalmist is praying for protection, praying for himself, not just for protection or carnal blessings, but that he may walk a "Kingdom" life.  Jesus prayed, "Father, save Me from this hour."  But then He said our salvation was more important.  This was the heart of the psalmist.  All through Psalm 119, his "prayer request" is centered in and based on his intent to obey. 

Someone once asked me if I ever felt guilty after visiting countries where people live in deep poverty.  I said, no, only if I do nothing with what I have.  There is nothing wrong in praying for blessings for ourselves if, with those blessings, we intend to serve our Lord Jesus Christ and thereby serve others. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for all You have given me.  I want to serve with whatever I have.  Amen.
***************************

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive