Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Such Knowledge Is Too Wonderful, Too Incomprehensible"

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it....When I awake, I am still with You." (Psalm 139:6, ESV, and 18, NKJV)

It could read that just in general, "Knowledge is too incomprehensible for me;..I cannot attain it."  The context is the psalmist's wonderment of God's dealings, e.g., "You have...known me.  You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought from afar."  The NASB goes on to say, " You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it all.  You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me."  Then comes our text, basically, "I really can't deal with such committed, all-encompassing love, nor can I even hope to even begin to understand it."

I could do a verse by verse exposition of Psalm 139, I suppose, but His Words are there for all of us to breathe in.  Of Our Living Triune God, revealed solely in Jesus Christ, the Bible says, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men."  This salvation, "has appeared to all men," in Our Lord Jesus Christ, this, "Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  And, the Psalm of our text tells us that He knows us, everything about us; He, "enclose[s] me behind and before, and lay[s His] hand upon me," long before and even when we are not aware of it, or any preacher or prophet or devotional writer tells me or reminds me of it, i.e., "such knowledge."  Because no matter how "deep" or smart or revelatory anyone may be, the knowledge of The Blessed Trinity is just as elusive to them as it is to the most lowly. 

I will never cease to be amazed, I guess, at how Jesus just keeps "updating" His Words to me, how, "They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."  The blessing of Psalm 139 to me this morning is, "too wonderful, too incomprehensible to me; it is high," but I want to, "attain it," as far as possible.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You Holy Spirit that You once again today, just as You have always over my lifetime, let me see just as little more of You.  Amen.
******************
* I will be preaching and sharing about North Korea this Sunday, June 2, with the Good Shepherd Church in Upper St. Clair
* This Fall's Berlin-Jerusalem Mission, October 27-November 26
 


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive