Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Prayer For You and Me

"As you share your faith with others, I pray that they may come to know all the blessings Christ has given us." (Philemon, verse 6, CEV)

Sharing one's faith in Jesus Christ is easier for some than others.  You have probably noted this over the years; I know I have.  The "whys" for this can be many perhaps, but one of the reasons for me is that the "story" of the Gospel is such a "miracle," i.e., unbelievable to the natural mind, and so inexplicable in its life changing power, that I find many times it is just difficult to "explain."  There are times, even in preaching or teaching, that I find myself way beyond myself.  It is as though I am literally peering through, "a glass darkly."

My main way of dealing with this has always been to leave with the persons or person the Name of Jesus.  Of course we know that it is Jesus Christ Who has "saved" us, Jesus Christ who in, "the Blood of the Covenant," bought us forgiveness of sins, and, "life eternal," fellowship in the Godhead."  But as the hymn writer said, "When I in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds Thy Hand has made," and, "When I think that God His Son not sparing"------------ well, it seems that many times all I can do is say something about Jesus, a Biblical truth about Jesus which the Holy Spirit will then honor.  Maybe instead of me explaining, I should more allow the Holy Spirit to do the "explaining."  Perhaps we should just share the, "Words of God," what the Bible says about the Gospel, then add our testimony, as in, "they over came him by the Blood of the Lamb and the Word to which they bore witness" (literal translation of Rev. 12:11).  Any other "explanation" usually goes beyond ourselves and the other's ability to comprehend. 

One of the earlier NIV translations says, "I pray that you will be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ."
  Could it be that when we are, "active in sharing [our] faith," it is then we, "will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ," or at least have a greater comprehension?  

Father, in Jesus' Name, "I pray that [I] will be active in sharing [my] faith"------
always.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive