Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Christian Walk: Read, Hear, Obey

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near."  (Revelation 1:3)

Notice, "reads,..hear.., and keep...."  I apologize if this sounds a little radical, but no one can walk with/in Jesus Christ without this life style.  Any form of religion which offers "blessings" based in any life style other than, "reads,..hear.., and keep," is just deceptive, counterfeit blessings.
 

As I have shared so often, after our son, Stephen, died, Jesus' delivering, saving, sustaining power came to me in His Words, aka, the, "All Scripture is God-Breathed," Word, aka, the Bible.  More of my "quiet times" are spent in reading, listening, "breathing in" the Breath of God in His Word than verbalization of supplications, intercessions and prayers.  Much of my worship is meditative wonder of Him Whom Jews refer to as "The Eternal One."  Bonhoeffer once wrote, "To be silent does not mean to be inactive; rather it means to breathe in the will of God, to listen attentively and be ready to obey."  The foundation of such living is in our text.  As we read and, "hear the words of this prophecy," the Bible, we are reading and hearing the will of God.  Then, "be ready to obey."  This is the Christian life. 

Of course I do pray in the Holy Spirit in my spirit, and, I do petition, make requests, etc.; but they are based more in the Words of God than in my "independent" thoughts.  I downloaded an audio Bible read by Alexander Scourby on my phone.  As he reads the passage, you can see it scroll down verse by verse.  Blessed are we if we read and hear, "and keep those things which are written...."

Father, in Jesus ' Name, thank You for great teaching.  Keep me ever open to such.  Amen.
****************
* Please keep us men in your prayers as we travel to DC to participate in "David's Tent" tomorrow.
* Preaching in the CCE meeting, November 11.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive