Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Huh, Excuse Me, Grandpa

"For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion."  (Ecclesiastes 9:4, NASB) 

Okay, I'm interrupting this devotional "to bring you a special message."  I was working on some great prophetic piece, when our youngest granddaughter (17 months on July 2) just came up to me holding out a book.  First, heart melts, then, "I have to get this done because we already have other plans for the day," then, "But how can I refuse this?!?"  One thing about multiple Bible readings is that there is always something which will speak right to the situation; hence, my "Wisdom Literature" reading for the day.

Too many of us over the years have pursued, given too much time and energy to, "a dead lion," rather than, "a living dog."  Yes, I know the text is really not speaking of lions and dogs, but it is speaking of what Job described, "things too wonderful for me...."  Now as far as I can tell, the word, "wonderful," is not in the Hebrew text.  It just seems to say, "things too......."  Too what?  Well, just, "too."  The dictionary says that one of the meanings of the word "too" is, "to an excessive extent or degree, beyond what is desirable."  In other words, Job just got into too much, "too," as in too much, too beyond him, too big, or could it be just what we think is so important we can't take time to-------- whatever.  Maybe Job should have done what our text says; stay with what you have; enjoy it; work with it, receive it as what you have rather than always attempting to go for something bigger, "better."  Oh, how well I know "faith" people will be saying, "What do you mean?  We need to press on to higher things, better things, stretch ourselves."  Right.  But I also know that, "a living dog is better than a dead lion."  I wonder if this applies here:  "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." 

One thing which "glares" at me from the Gospel accounts it that our Lord Jesus always had time, time for the "big" and the "small."  Maybe it was that he didn't see the difference, "And He must needs go through Samaria"; a lonely outcast was awaiting the "appointment."  I have often wondered how many opportunities I have walked right past over the years because I was always looking for, "a dead lion."
Maybe a devotional "Thought For the Day:"  Take time to not only "smell the roses," but enjoy those around you who love you, want you, depend upon you, and you the same toward them.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You so much for life's lessons, opportunities----- and pure joy!  Amen.
*******************
Radical "Egyptian-Americans:" www.jerberwash.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group of the Day: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive