Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Bible Teaches Us to Love, "Correction"--- Really?

"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." (Proverbs 12:1)

The word translated here, "instruction," means "discipline, chastening, correction;" hence, we could say, "Whoever loves correction, discipline, and chastening loves knowledge, but he who hates correction, discipline, and chastening is stupid."  If I accept our text, then I confess I have been, "stupid," in my life time.  The KJV correctly translates, "stupid, as, "brutish," which means "of, or relating to beasts."  This does not "preach" well.

The vast majority of human beings, "born again," or not, do not like correction.  A person may be in an "accountability relationship," but if someone outside his approved circles has "a word" for him, "he hates," it.  What pomposity.  If I pick and choose from whom I can receive correction, I am just deluding myself.  The reality today is that if I refuse correction, no matter who it comes from, it is simply due to pride.  

There are things, "issues," which need, "correction," in our lives about which we have known perhaps for a long time, maybe decades.  What can be embarrassing is that we knew we needed to do something about it, but did not, and someone, sometimes a person who is the last person we would want to receive from, calls it to our attention. 

There are people who are just critical or mean- spirited or just want control over our lives; may the Holy Spirit help us to discern such.  But may He also help us to discern those who really love us and want us to be our best in Jesus Christ.  If we follow carefully the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels, yes, in the whole of Scripture, we see our text as a fundamental Biblical principle; therefore, as a person who claims a love for His Words, I ask myself, What am I doing with all the, "correction," I have received in my life time?  

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to prove my love for Your Words by loving/receiving, "correction, discipline, chastening,"------- from whomever You choose to bring it to me.  Amen.
********************
An Israeli Jew Comments on Tebow: www.apf327.blogspot.com
Unreached People Group: www.apfunreachedpeoples.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive