Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What Are You "Reading?"

"Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider...Christ Jesus....For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Heb.3:1;4:12)

This quarter in Hebrews, I thought of some moments in my seminary days.  I once walked into a classroom and one of the guys said, "Oh no, here comes the Holy Spirit." Another time, a professor said, "I know whatever your response, the Bible and Jesus will always be there."  The former was a mock, the latter was a sort of, "Hmm." Whatever the "witness," it was not just my theology; it was my life's testimony.

The, "word of God," described in our text is such because, as the Bible tells us, "The Word of God," is not printed text; "The Word of God," is the Person of Jesus Christ. If people do not, "consider Christ Jesus," in reading, "the word of God," they are not "reading" the Bible, the ancient, historic, "God-Breathed," Word.  They are reading a religious book for preaching and teaching purposes, agenda, hidden or otherwise, excuses to exalt one view over another, self-described kingdoms, in short, everything but, "The Words of God."  Of course such reading does not change the Bible---------- just the person who reads without, "Consider Christ Jesus."

I encourage you today, and every day, that whatever you "do" when you read the Bible, do as our text commands, "Consider (literally, "I take note of, perceive, consider carefully, discern) Christ Jesus...."  If we do this, we will positively never go astray.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I can think of no greater command in the Bible.  Somehow I feel if I do this command, obedience to all other commands will follow.  Amen.
******************
Please write to the President and your Congressional Reps to free Jonathan Pollard. Read an article about him at:   www.apf327.blogspot.com 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"

Blog Archive