Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, April 22, 2011

"On This [Day]...Keep Vigil to Honor the LORD" Jesus Christ

"Because the LORD kept vigil that night to bring them out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelites are to keep vigil to honor the LORD for the generations to come." (Exodus 12:42, NIV)

Yes, this is referring to the Passover night.  But the exact words can be used for the day of Jesus' six hours on a cross, a day to remember and, "to keep vigil to honor the Lord Jesus Christ for the generations to come."  

"Alas, and did my Savior bleed, 
and did my Sovereign die?  
Would He devote that sacred Head 
for such a worm as I?

"Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine-- 
and bathed in its own blood--
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.

"Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

"Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature's sin.

"Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

"But drops of grief can ne're repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
'Tis all that I can do.

"At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!"


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive