Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why Muslims Pray Towards Mecca

"By You I have been sustained from my birth; You are He who took me from my mother's womb; My praise is continually of You." (Psalm 71:6, NASB)

Didn't he write something about this verse not so long ago?  Probably.  Isn't this one of the wonderful things about the "God-Breathed" Word?-- moment by moment fresh.

I wonder if one of the "reasons" our Father in our Lord Jesus Christ gave us the Bible is that what we have in the Scriptures is all we can handle in this life.  Those people who are always looking for "a word from the Lord" usually have tired of the Bible.  We have all the "word from the Lord" we can handle right in that Bible, in most cases gathering dust on coffee tables.  Regardless, our text, of which I never grow tired of reading, never grow tired of confessing, just keeps month after month after month blessing, strengthening, reminding this all-too-forgetful sinner just what a glorious Gospel we have.

The literal translation of our text is, "My praise is continually in You."  Ours is an, "in You," Faith Covenant.  "In You"---- Yes, our Lord Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would be, "with us," but most uniquely to Biblical Theology, He is, "in you."  Jesus teaches us in John's Gospel that The Living Triune God desires to live, "in," us.  Colossians speaks of, "Christ in you, the hope of glory."  I wonder if the reason Muslims have to pray towards Mecca is that is the only place Allah hangs out. 

But it is not just Muslims who are shackled with such theology.  Some church folk have to get to meetings, worship gatherings, church programs to get into "the Presence."  The Follower of Jesus Christ just has to "be," and, voila---- Presence!  Do not have an altar, "to the unknown god."  That is the spirit of Islam.  Embrace the God Who can be known in Jesus Christ and desires to dwell in man.  "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me, and I am in you."

Father, in Jesus' Name, though I do not and cannot fully understand, I can never cease praising and thanking You that because of the Blood of Jesus Christ, You are, "in me."  Amen.
************************
* Berlin/East Europe Mission:   March 26-April 25
* News, Commentary:   www.apf327.blogspot.com


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive