Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, December 13, 2010

Sled Riding on the Golan, Swimming in the Galilee

"And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth." (Luke 1:14)
 
Our text is speaking of the birth of John the Baptist, but it could just as easily apply to, "the appearing," of Jesus.   Indeed, "joy and gladness," is the mark of a Follower of Jesus Christ.
 
It's 12 F, -11 C here in Johnstown, PA.  I was out dealing with some weather related stuff; hence, a little later today.  And to think, when I was a kid I would take my bicycle out in this, then after spills and just pre teen hilarity, would get out the old sled and go down hills so fast, down hills so steep my eyes would water so much I couldn't see; and much of this was before we had a television-------Ah, kid-dom.  Ralphie had nothing on me.  That was more years ago than one may want to imagine, but mine was a great childhood.  I never came home from school and Mom wasn't there, never sat down to a meal but that the whole family was present.  I'm not elevating this above what you may have experienced, but at least I can be thankful for this, right?!?
 
During this time of year, the global celebration of the "appearing" of Jesus, I often wonder what His Childhood must have been like.  We tend to not speak of this much because most see no theological significance to it.  Yet the so-called "silent years" of our Lord Jesus Christ were a part of the Incarnation "experience."  He lived among humanity, not just as an adult, teaching, healing, His Passion, and resurrection, but as a snow loving, racing down hills, swimming in the Galilee pre teen, teenage, young adult Middle Eastern Jew.  I have seen such people while in Israel.  Jesus probably looked much as they do.
 
Lighten up this Christmas if you are prone to be anti lights, presents, just some super spiritual, "Well, Christmas is a pagan holiday."  It may be to some but not to those of us who know Jesus Christ.  Let the music play, yes, "Sleigh Ride," or, "Jingle Bells," or, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas," along with, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," or, "Silent Night," or the great theological Carol, "Hark the Herald Angels Sings." It is our time to
 PAAA-RRRR-TEEE.
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, release Your Joy into us Your People in a new way this Season.  Amen.
**********************************
See a fulfillment of a prophetic dream I had over 30 years ago at:
 
When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive