Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, September 9, 2010

What is "The Christian Thing"?

"And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, 'Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened. (1 Kings 18:27)
 
According to most theology today, this was not "the Christian thing to do;" therefore, it was probably a mistake to invite Elijah to the Mount of Transfiguration.
 
From some responses, I think some believe I advocate book burning.  I don't think I have gone that far yet.  I do stand by my statement, however, that the Koran is a war manual.  I think it is noteworthy that all I have read and heard from Christian leaders about the planned "Koran Burning" in Florida Saturday says it is not the "Christian thing to do."  What that is can be quite cloudy.  Most religious people I have heard over my life time also condemn all of the Crusades as "unchristian;" I don't, though some of them in my opinion, should be condemned.  The Arab Muslims were invading Europe centuries before the First Crusade.  What was Europe to do, pass out tracks?  The Crusaders saw that the battle with Arab Islam would not go away, and they saw it almost a thousand years before Americans finally saw it on September 11, 2001.  No doubt there were excesses and abuses in the Crusades just as in any war, e.g., American Civil War, WW 2, etc.  But I thank God that someone had the foresight and courage to fight those wars. 
 
There is some "nice guy" theology in Christendom which just cannot be reckoned with either life or the Bible.  Much of it marginalizes the Old Testament with, "Oh, that's Old Testament," as though God somehow got converted in the intertestamental period.  And what of those who are "New Testament only," who love to site the "Sermon on the Mount" as, "that's the Christian thing to do?"  If they are honest Biblical scholars, then they must also "site" the Book of Revelation.  Both are God's idea.  And according to the latter, the last act of Christians on this planet will be to participate with Jesus Christ in the most "unchristian thing to do"--------- participate in the most total war the earth has ever seen. 
 
I am not trying to be contentious.  But it would be good to have some thoughtful, serious discussion on today's issues facing the Church.  The effectiveness of reaching the lost with the Biblical Gospel of Jesus Christ and the proclamation of "end time" Biblical Prophecy depends upon it.  Personally I think it would be refreshing and am open to input.
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, I readily confess to You that I have uncertainties about many issues------------------------ but none of You.  Amen.
************************************************* 
News, Commentary:                    www.apf327.blogspot.com
Prophetic "Must See" Video:      www.antipasprayerforce2.blogspot.com  


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive