Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Only Antidote to Acculturation

"Therefore,..desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby...." (1 Peter 2:2)

I share from my daily reading, just as I survive by my daily reading.  I pray; I worship; I tithe; I pray always to be a good "fisher of men."  But my testimony over the last 40 years is that the, "Word of God," revealed in, "the Words of God," has been, "the strength of my life."  The power of the Word of God is the reason the Apostles in the Book of Acts gave themselves, "continually to prayer, and to the service of the word."

The most dangerous force in the world today is not terrorism, anti-Semitism, liberal politics and media.  It is an acculturated church, a church subtly ruled by its  culture rather than Jesus Christ and His "Law-Word."  It is something of which we all need to be constantly aware.  Most Followers of Jesus spend most of their days in an atmosphere dominated by the culture of their people group.  There is simply no antidote to this other than a thorough, regular, daily reading and meditating on the "God-Breathed" Word.  Our lives reflect what dominates our minds.  Fill our minds constantly with anything other than the Word of God, and our lives will sooner or later be ruled by that which enters the portal of our eyes and ears. 

It was said of Bonhoeffer that he "took preaching seriously.  For him a sermon was nothing less than the very word of God, a place where God would speak to his people."  I do not write a daily devotional just to spout off my theological ideas, get it off my chest, so to speak, because I am preaching less than I did for most of my life.  These devotionals are a continuation of the "call," the call to proclaim Jesus Christ, His Church and Kingdom, the call to, "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations."  I take it very seriously!  I do not come to you with the air of superior theologian or more mature Christian.  I come as a brother in Christ, praying first of all that, "the words...and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer," and that those same words will bring you and me more and more into our full potential in Jesus Christ.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that my "desire [for] the sincere milk of the word," will never wane.  Amen.
****************************
There is another great article about Israel's and America's destiny at:   www.apf327.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive