Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"The Law Is Spiritual," You Read Correctly, "Spiritual"

"We know that the law is spiritual...." (From today's reading,Rm. 7:14)

Who is the, "we," Paul?!?  Most churchgoers you talk with are anti-law.  Yes, they speak against governments when those governments pass laws against the Bible, but if you listen to the average religious person today, "
law," is usually cast in a bad light.  Maybe the reason is found in the last part of verse 14, "....I am carnal, sold under sin."

It cannot be emphasized too much that Jesus confirmed the law when He said, "
Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.  I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."  Many interpret, "to fulfill," as, "to replace."  It is a sort of disguised "replacement theology."  Maybe they would protest such theology when it comes to Israel and the Church, but they practice it when it comes to law and grace, faith and works, which are not mutually exclusive.

The psalmist said, "
Oh, how I love Your law!  It is my meditation all the day."  I know my love for Jesus Christ when I know my love for His Law.  "If you love Me, keep My commandments" ("law").  Somehow even here the word, "commandments," sounds better to most than, "law," that much maligned word in the human race.  Jesus, "The Word of God," spoke, "keep My commandments," many times to the Jews in the Old Testament.  Nothing changed when He appeared among men.  Love for God has always and only manifested in love for His Law-------the supreme confirmation that, "the Law is spiritual."

Father, in Jesus' Name, forgive any self-conceived spirituality.  Amen.
************************************
Check out Prophetic Stuff @:
     www.apf327.blogspot.com   
     www.apfjw.blogspot.com 

When an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive