Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, December 14, 2009

"Beware of Always Trying to be Profound: God Became a Baby" (Chambers)

"Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people." (Luke 2)
 
I have several friends who have lost people very close to them in recent weeks.  I too know the sadness of losing those very dear to me.  But things and times change; life goes on, even though at times it seems unfair that it does just go on, especially when it should "stop" when tragedy strikes us.  Whatever your trial today, do not allow sadness and depression to gain the victory over you.  Whom we celebrate is Jesus Christ, "the Good News which shall be to all people."  The word translated, "good," is from a root word which is often translated, "greatest."  Indeed, the "news" of Jesus Christ appearing is the "greatest news" ever to come to the ears of humanity.  And let there be no doubt---- this "greatest news" is the greatest "route" through the "valley of the shadow." 
 
Why is the "greatest news" announced to the shepherds the "greatest news" to you and me?  Jesus took us from a self destructive life, forgave our sin, so that now we, as the psalmist, can say, "He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay; and He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.  And he put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise of our God."  
 
Most people see the hymn which I have sent to you as a "liberal," or humanistic type hymn.  I used to also.  Not now.  Break any religious shackles on you, and listen.  It is not just the angels or the worship team singing ----"the birds their carols raise." 
        
Father, in Jesus' Name, I am thankful that increasingly I hear You "everywhere."  Amen.
**************************************
    


When 18 year old Peter Torjesen"heard the call to evangelize China, he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive