Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What a Savior!

"And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins."  (Matthew 1:21)
 
The Son, the Baby Jesus in the manger, is Savior.  "He shall save."  You have heard over the years, I am sure, the definition of, "save."  It means, "deliver, protect, heal, preserve," cause you to "do well, make whole."  In Luke 7:50, in the healing of a sick woman, Jesus says, "Go your way.  Your faith has saved you"--- same Greek word as in our text.  Paul said, "Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners"----- same word.  And when Peter was about to physically drown in the storm, he cried out to Jesus," Lord, save me!"----- same word.  Luke 2:11, "for there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."  That's right; same root word!  And did you know that the Hebrew word for, "save," means essentially the same.  In Deuteronomy 20:4, the Living Triune God told the Jews, "For the LORD your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you."  The psalmist cried, "Save me from the lion's mouth and from the horns of the wild oxen!"  The Hebrew words for, "save," here mean the same as the NT Greek word, but more, "to be open wide, free, to succor, defend, avenge." 
 
The god of evangelicalism has over the years deprived humanity of "so great a salvation."  Jesus Christ came to "open wide" the door of Heaven for me, to save me, forgive me, and set me free of my sin, save me from Hell, but also from the enslaving entanglements of sin in this life, to defend me in this life, even avenge me in this life, "to fight for you against your enemies," to save you "from the lion's mouth."  Consider what He did for Daniel!   This is all for you and me!  So when you hear and/or read the great "Christmas" passages this year, remember that there is a whole lot more saving Jesus came to do and be for you and me than we have ever imagined!
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to believe for salvation in areas I have never considered.  Amen. 
**********************************
News, Commentary:            www.antipasprayerforce.blogspot.com
Devotional Archive:            www.apfdevotionals.blogspot.com 
 
 
"Looking Unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2



Blog Archive