Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, July 18, 2008

"Weak and Worthless" Or, "A Kingdom of Priests to...God"

"So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world....But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?" (Galatians 4:3 & 9)
 
The word translated, "elemental," in our text is translated, "beggarly," in the KJV.  That is what it literally means, "pauper, a beggar."  This is how Jesus found you and me.  He took us as beggars in "the power of darkness..., and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father."
 
Jesus "found" you and me as beggars, "slaves of sin," and redeemed us to and for Himself.  We were not redeemed to be our own person.  We are redeemed to be His person.  Left to myself, I am a pauper.  Left to Jesus, I am a rich man.  When I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ, I changed masters---------- from Satan, who lies to us, causing us to think we are in control, to Jesus, Who never lies about ownership or control.  When anyone or anything but Jesus has us, we are "held under the beggarly things of the world-- weak and worthless elemental things." When Jesus "has" us, we are under His power, His worthiness, His riches.
 
Father, in Jesus' Name, how foolish to stay in "weak and worthless elemental things," when I can have You.  Amen.




Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Blog Archive